Friday, January 29, 2010

Review: Sweet Cupcakes in Boston, MA

The other day I got to visit my boyfriend's sister in Boston. She dragged us all over the city and one of the highlights of the day was popping into the Back Bay store of Sweet. I have always wanted to try a cupcake shop so I was extremely excited about this.

The Back Bay shop is located on a cute street, not far from a rich stretch of town that has gas lamps, a lovely little grassy area, and, I'm told, very pretty gardens in the spring and summer. It being winter I had to miss out on this last detail. The shop itself is very tiny, with seating enough for maybe ten people tops, the display case, and service counter. Everything is pink and white and there are dishes filled with classic candies like cowtails and gumballs, though they're only for display.

The girls behind the counter were a little rushed with a girl ahead of us making an order for a party, but they were still very friendly and helpful. I ordered a "sweet cake" cupcake with vanilla frosting. My boyfriend a dark chocolate cupcake with chocolate frosting. We managed to snag a seat and dug in.

The first thing that hit me was the size of the cupcakes. They were standard cupcake pan sized, rather small and underwhelming. And while the amount of frosting on them was awesome, two very large dollops per cupcake, it did nothing to justify the $4.00 each price tag.

Upon the first bite I was once again disappointed. The frosting was very good, I'm picky when it comes to buttercream and I really liked this frosting. But the cake itself tasted no better than out-of-the-box yellow cake. My boyfriend had a similar experience with his dark chocolate cupcake. He told me that, once again, the frosting was delicious, but the cake itself left something to be desired.

So while the shop and the cupcakes themselves were incredibly cute, I don't believe I will be visiting Sweet again anytime soon. If I do, I'll most likely settle for a frosting shot and leave it at that.

1 comment:

  1. Aawww, this cupcakes are so cute and the package too!!! <3<3<3
    I really want to know how american cupcakes tastes *____*

    Recomment: Thank you for the comment, I feel really happy ^-^

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails