Friday, February 5, 2010

100 Question Meme

This meme was posted originally on EGL. Alice over at Pink Milk Tea cleaned it up and did it herself. It looked fun to fill out, so I grabbed it for myself.

1. Screen-name and date of birth, please tell us these~
RayRay, December 22nd

2. Height, weight, clothing size, and shoe size?
5'11", 200+ (that's all you're getting xP), 18, 12 US women's.

3. Why did you start to dress lolita?
I had admired it for years. A friend introduced me to Malice Mizer and lolita and I coveted it for forever. After a couple failed attempts with regular clothes over the years I jumped the gun and bought an actual outfit. It has been love ever since.

4. Which style of lolita do you like?
Gothic

5. Express in your own words, the ideal of your above answer.
Rich fabrics in jewel tones. Lace tights. Thick bangs with classic flat headdresses or stiff-brimmed bonnets. Cravats. Corsets. Elegant heels. The works.

6. Do you have piercings? Where?
My ears, but I'm allergic to nickel so I don't wear anything in them.

7. Which brands do you like?
I love Innocent World and Atelier Boz. Also Suppurate System jewelry. Mary Magdelene and Victorian Maiden are great to look at for inspiration too.

8. Which are your favourite clothes (that you have)?
My green floral jumperskirt made by nessaneko on livejournal. It fits me perfectly, is adorable, and is constantly mistaken for brand.

9. How many lolita friends do you have?
I have six very close lolita friends, either those I have met through the fashion or friends I had before who then got into it. I have a handful of online lolita friends as well.

10. What do you love most about lolita?
That anyone can wear it. There's so much room to play with it that you can always find something to flatter you. And that it makes me feel pretty.

11. What do you hate about it? Any pet peeves?
The care that the clothes take. I don't mind if my other clothes get roughed up, they're cheap and easy to replace. But lolita clothes I have to be careful of staining, or of my parents getting the smell of cigarette smoke all over them. Ick.

12. What lolita magazines do you read?
None anymore. I used to collect the bibles and brand books religiously, but after a couple years I realized I didn't do much more than look at them and set them aside. So I don't bother anymore.

13. Headdresses, bonnets or ribbons/hairbows?
Headdresses and bonnets. I love classic headdresses even if they are out of style for the most part. And I absolutely adore stiff-brimmed bonnets.

14. Do you wear bloomers?
No. Its hard for me to get bloomers that fit right it seems, so I've stopped bothering. So I go bare for the time being. I want to find a pair of gym shorts or something to wear underneath my skirts instead.

15. Do you tie headdresses at the front or in the back?
In the back if they have ties. I try to get headdresses on headbands instead. I hate that they push up my chin fat with ties. Bonnets, however, I can't tie anywhere but under my chin so I just suck it up and deal.

16. Who is your favourite band/type of music?
Right now I'm listening to a lot of Mika and Lenka, but I love everything from Infected Mushroom, to X Japan, to HalCali.

17. What is your phone ring tone~?
I have a ton of them xD I have Mika's "Relax, Take it Easy", Infected Mushroom's "Cities of the Future", the Super Mario theme, Flogging Molly's "Seven Deadly Sins", "One Day More" from Les Miserables. The list goes on and on.

18. Do you go to concerts in lolita?
If I went to a Mika or Lenka concert I might, but most concerts I go to are rock or metal so no, I don't. I've had clothes torn, beers spilled on me, mysterious bruises appear, the works. So no way I would wear lolita to concerts.

19. For people who attend concerts: do you headbang there?
Of course!! I lose all all inhibitions at concerts and rock out however I want. I love it.

20. What colours do you like?
Green and pink are my favorite colors. Most of my lolita clothes are green. My room is bright green with neon pink borders, with green polkadotted pink curtains. Its like being in a giant watermelon xD

21. What are your hobbies?
Reading, baking, playing video games, reading manga (I know, nerd).

22. If you have any favourite perfumes, please tell us.
I'm not big on perfumes.

23. Is there anything you are careful of in lolita?
I'm always careful about spilling anything on my clothes. Stains are never fun. I also constantly check where I'm sitting down and am wary about bending over. I always bend at the knees while in lolita.

24. Do you have any favourite haunts to go to in lolita?
Anywhere where my friends are at. I love the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens in the spring too.

25. How many times a week do you dress lolita?
Very rarely. I'm lucky if I get to dress lolita in a month.

26. Please tell us an embarrassing story from when you were a lolita beginner.
My first outfit I begged my mother to buy for me for my highschool graduation. She wanted to spend as little money as possible so I ended up with a black circle skirt with a bit of lace, a squaredance petticoat, and a generic white blouse. I put my hair up in pigtails and had a bit of ribbon as a headband. I was so proud of my outfit.

27. What is your current hairstyle and colour?
A few inches longer than shoulder length, bangs curved around eyes, brown.

28. What is your lolita history?
I learned about it in 2002, wore my first outfit in 2004. I gave up and didn't come back to it until 2007 and finally gained a good sense of fashion for it by 2008.

29. Do you store your clothes in a special place?
I have a closet. One side is lolita, one side is normal clothes. Any accessories I have go into a cubby in the closet.

30. Did you ever think about quitting lolita? What was the reason?
Once in a while the thought comes up. Especially at times where I come across other fashions. When I got into aristocrat I considered it again. And recently when I discovered Spank and decided I want to try it. But I have invested too much time, money, and love into lolita to ever leave it.

31. What is your motto?
"Be confident and you can rock anything."

32. What are your dreams of the future?
They're not related to lolita at all but I want to finish my program at community college, attend and graduate from UNH, get a job in the mechanical engineering field, and go from there. A home and some pets would also fit nicely into that picture as well.

33. "This person is so perfect for lolita!" - Do you ever think that about certain celebrities?
Not really, no.

34. Are there any products/items of which you have with a fond memory?
Not in particular. I've never received lolita as a gift and I've sold most of my first pieces so there's really nothing I have an especial attachment to.

35. What was your first item?
The first item that I still own is my green nessaneko jumperskirt. My first item from when I finally got the hang of lolita was a pink Angelic Pretty replica that I eventually sold because it didn't fit me right.

36. Do you have a signature pose for photos?
Not really. I usually have my hands clasped in front of me though. I'm trying to get out of that habit.

37. What is your heart's bible? [book/magazine/CD/etc...]
Sir Apropos of Nothing by Peter David. Its a satire but its also about not settling for being a supporting role in your life's story.

38. What is the best height (cm) for heels?
2 inches. Shorter is okay but my feet look super ducky in flats. I can also go up to 3" but I'm tall as it is so I try to avoid it.

39. Do you wear tiaras?
No.

40. Do you think you want to try prince style? What kind of prince? Gothic/dark prince? Or "prince on a white horse" style?
I thought about it for a minute but I decided against it. If I had it would have been more aristocrat boystyle.

41. What types of lace do you like?
I love rose cluny.

42. Do you own a doll? Does owning it give you fun, childish feelings?
I have seven dolls right now. All BJDs. And no, I was into BJDs before lolita and collect them more for aesthetic and storytelling then any desire to remain childish.

43. What is in your lolita bag?
Wallet, keys, cellphone, tide-to-go, my camera, bobby pins, safety pins, lint roller, sometimes sock glue, and a bottle of water if my purse is large enough.

44. What is your favourite flower?
I love roses and water lilies.

45. Right now, what is your favourite accessory?
Oh jeez I don't know. I think it's my Suppurate System cage necklace. It's gotten so banged up over time but I still absolutely adore it.

46. Please recommend some cosmetics.
I can't? I don't wear much makeup at all. I have had no luck with finding a foundation that matches my skin so I've pretty much given up.

47. With eye-tape your eyes look like a doll's! What eyelashes will you wear?
I'm not taping my eyes and I'm wearing my own lashes thanks xD

48. What is your eye makeup for these eyelashes?
None. Haha!

49. Red Lipstick? Blue? Black? Pink?
If I have to I'll choose a nuetral to pink tone.

50. Which nail polish do you normally choose?
Clear if I use it, just to make them shiny and pretty.

51. Have you ever changed in a train station bathroom?
No, thank god. But I have changed in a car. That was an experience.

52. What do you think of "twin" and "triplet" lolitas?
They're adorable. My friends and I are coming up with outfits to triplet (or even more!) in and I can't wait!

53. How do you keep in shape for lolita? Recommend something.
I'm out of shape right now... but I mostly do a lot of walking. I go through long walks in the woods with my mp3 player going in my ears. That way I get to sing and unwind too. I want to try to start jogging in the spring though. We'll see how it goes.

54. Do you keep calm when you wear lolita alone in public?
For the most part. I'm pretty confident while wearing it and if someone makes a comment I'll usually make a comment right back.

55. How much do you spend per month on clothes/accessories?
Very little. I'll usually save up and then splurge every couple of months.

56. Was there a time lag between knowing about lolita and dressing in the fashion?
Oh yeah, definitely. Years even.

57. What is your most expensive lolita item?
Oh man... Probably my green jsk again. Fabric, custom design, custom made, shipping from New Zealand. It was a pretty penny.

58. It takes a lot of money to be a lolita. How do you save?
When I was working I'd just work as much as I could and put away as much as I could. Now it's a little harder.

59. Just a little secret here... How much have you spent so far on lolita, roughly?
Oh... don't ask me that. Well over a couple thousands. I don't want to think about it. Haha.

60. Is there a brand shop you want near where you live?
OMG Innocent World please. I don't even care if its in New York City and I have to travel two hours by train. I'd love an IW.

61. "Man, what a rip-off!!" Have you ever thought that about a store?
A lot of the time. Even big brands like Baby and AP. Some of the stuff they put out is amazingly overpriced.

62. Do you shop online? If so, put the good & bad points here to advise others.
I love to shop online. Good: Usually nothing in the stores fit me so shopping online lets me choose from a much bigger selection. Bad: You always want to research a shop when ordering from them for the first time or you might get burned.

63. Is there a secret person/shop that you have commissioned a dress just for you from?
I usually commission from Talia_Speaks on livejournal if I want something just for me.

64. "I can never have that/see that happening!! But I will always want it!!" Is there a brand you think this of?
AP. I can't fit it. I don't wear OTT sweet, but somedays I'm just "I WANT THIS!" so very bad.

65. What do you do with the clothes you don't want anymore?
I first offer them to my friends for cheap and if they don't want them I sell them on the comm sales.

66. What is your most recent purchase? (Even non-lolita.)
I'm waiting for a skirt, blouse, and bonnet from Qcute to get finished. I'm so excited for them!

67. Is there an item you love that you can't buy/seem to find?
If I really want something and can afford for it to be made I can always get it, so no I suppose.

68. What do you think of people who only wear lolita to concerts?
If it's rock or anything where there's potential to ruin your clothes I get concerned.

69. What do you think of lolitas without makeup?
I am one, so I love them. Haha.

70. Another lolita is wearing the same coordinate/clothes as you!! What do you do?
Laugh and pose for twin pictures.

71. What age should you stop wearing lolita?
Whenever you get sick of it and no sooner.

72. When do you think you should graduate from lolita? And why?
Probably when another fashion comes and takes its place for good. It's definitely a long time coming but I know one day there'll be something I love more.

73. "You should stop doing that!!! >_<" What must a lolita not do?
A lolita can do whatever she wants as long as she's not harming others or their clothes, I believe.

74. "A lolita should be 'this'!" What do you think that should be?
A lolita should follow enough "rules" of the fashion to at least resemble lolita when she wants to wear it. You can't just go around in a poofy skirt that barely covers your privates and a corset and call yourself lolita. There are guidelines for a reason and if you're unrecognizable as a lolita there's no point in calling your clothes lolita.

75. Besides #73, is there anything you should definitely not do while wearing lolita?
See 73.

76. What do you think of men in lolita?
Go for it. I only mind when an older man (say 30's and above) wants to come to meets when we have minors in the group as well. Then I would have to be mean and ask him to stay at home, just for the comfort of the younger members (who already get nervous with hanging out with 20 year olds). But if he wants to hang out with us older girls one day I'm fine with it.

77. Did you change yourself to be a lolita?
I changed my attitude. For the better in my opinion. I used to be so scared of what other people thought of me but lolita let me gain confidence and pride in myself.

78. What does your family and other people think of you dressing lolita? And do you accept it?
My parents were weirded out in the beginning but my dad has come to accept it and my mom has come to love it. She asks me for pictures everytime I go out. My extended family makes faces whenever I'm wearing it but I've always been the weirdo in the family so I just deal.

79. How do you wear lolita in the boiling mid-summer?
If I'm absolutely dying I'll forgo a blouse, but I can usually get by with a short sleeved blouse and OTKs as long as I have a parasol to keep the sun off me.

80. Have you gone to school or work in lolita?
I've gone to school in lolita a couple times. I'm trying to do it more this semester since I don't have drafting anymore. (Graphite all over your expensive dress is not fun.)

81. How do you dress normally?
Jeans and t-shirts. A skirt if I'm feeling adventurous. I'm trying to dress more girly and spank! like in my free time though.

82. Do you think twice about buying second-hand clothes?
Its so rare that I do, but no. I check the user's feedback and ask for extra pictures. If they check out, I buy.

83. Do you have a boyfriend? (or husband?) Does he understand lolita?
He's a steampunk freak so he doesn't mind the weird fashion. And anything that gets me into a skirt is good for him. He was once asked what he felt about the fashion before and after he got to know me (when we first met I was in lolita) and for before he answered "That is one frilly dress", after "That is one expensive as hell frilly dress." So it makes me laugh.

84. Please tell us about your ideal man.
I really can't tell you. I thought I had it all sorted out but this computer nerd who's loud and abrasive but also the biggest teddy bear once you get him behind closed doors showed up and knocked my world upside down.

85. What lolita has left a big, shiny impression on you so far?
Caro-chan, definitely. She was my first lolita friend and has taught me so many awesome little crafty things and is just absolutely insane. (Don't let her blog fool you, that girl's crazy xD). My friend Xanet is a close second. I love them both.

Xanet, Caro-chan, and Me

86. Have you made your own clothes? What are they like?
I've made a skirt... it's kinda wonky but was a good learning experience. I want to make more skirts soon.

87. Have you made your own accessories? What did you make?
Back in the beginning I made a beaded crown. It's probably in a landfill somewhere now. Haha. But yeah, I've given up on accessories for the most part.

88. Think about the best item you have made! What is it?
Nothing lolita related. lol.

89. Please tell us about the most perfect lolita coordination you wear.
I have no idea... I still don't have many mix and match clothes (being poor sucks), but I love coordinates paired with my green shoes. You almost never see green shoes and to have them match my clothes is just so amazing to me.

90. Do you admire someone? What are they like?
Not really. Especially not in lolita. I just kinda do my own thing.

91. "One day I will go on a date with that person." What would you like to wear for him?
Whatever I feel like wearing, and he will be happy. I dress for myself, not for others. If he's lucky I'll put on a skirt. Haha.

92. If you want one, what type of store would you open in the future?
I want a store with a ton of different indie brands and seamstress clothes. It will absolutely never happen, but a girl can daydream.

93. Something catches your eye. What is this motif?
Butterflies. I'm obsessed with them, but its very rare for them to show up in lolita clothing.

94. Would you dress your child in lolita?
Before they are too old to choose what they want to wear? Yeah. I'm guilty of wanting to do that. But once they start making their own decisions I'll let them choose.

95. How much do you spend on one outfit?
Ohhh man... Let's just take an educated guess of about 700? But who the hell knows really.

96. "This is lolita!!" Please say what you would say this about.
Definitely the petti. I don't see the point of wearing lolita if you have a flat skirt

97. "I have always wanted to try that once!" What, in the lolita world, have you wanted to try wearing?
OTT sweet. It's my secret weakness. Some days I hate it and some days I'm in love with it. I adore a million ruffles and can't get away from it.

98. Look at yourself in lolita. In one word/phrase, how would you express your style/image?
Cute fatty poof. xDDD

99. What is your lolita ideal?
I have no idea actually. I just wear what I love.

100. Thank you for taking this baton!! Tell us what you think!
It took me forever to fill out but I had fun doing it! I hope a lot of others do it too!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the commission plug bb^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to start jogging in the spring too, not just for lolita, but for my health. I'm a plus sized lolita as well, and I am working on getting in better shape. Would you be interested in a lolita fitness online support group or something? There are so many problems with eating disorders in the lolita community, it would be good to have a group so we can support each other getting fit in a healthy way!
    - Mariko

    ReplyDelete
  3. @talia You're welcome bb

    @Mariko I would be interested! I would be no good at doing anything to help run it but I would definitely participate if something was set up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @RayRay I'm thinking of starting a lj group for lolita fitness stuff. I'll send you a message when I've worked on it more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought of this when you mentioned the butterflies.

    http://www.etsy.com/listing/61388647/whisper-butterfly-necklace?ref=sr_list_22&ga_search_query=butterfly&ga_search_type=favoriteShops

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails